A strategic review of London’s Knowledge Clusters.
Client: British Land, Cushman & Wakefield, Derwent London, London Property Alliance.
Future Places Studio were commissioned by British Land, Cushman & Wakefield, Derwent London and the London Property Alliance to produce a report which explores London’s Knowledge Clusters.
For many, London is a city of clusters. In Soho you have a clustering around media, advertising and digital marketing. The City and Canary Wharf are financial clusters. East London is a technology cluster. Agglomerations of a sector in a specific location are not new, but there are a number of features which are common to the Knowledge Clusters identified in the Knowledge Clusters report:
- Knowledge Clusters are geographical locations which attract organisations from the knowledge economy: a sector based on knowledge intensive activities, creating a greater reliance on intellectual capital rather than physical inputs. It is normally centred around education, science, healthcare, technology and creative services.
- Knowledge Clusters tend to initially form around a specific anchor such as a university or hospital.
- As the cluster develops there is strategic intent from members (anchors and tenants) of the Knowledge Cluster to support its growth and develop an eco-system of activity which includes start-ups, scale-ups and anchor corporates.
- Creating opportunities for knowledge exchange between members of the clusters is encouraged. This can include shared learnings, collaborations, partnerships and joint ventures.
- The local authority plays an active role in the growth and development of a Knowledge Cluster.
- A positive impact on the local community is a key measure of success for a Knowledge Cluster.
London has a number of geographical locations which are established or emerging Knowledge Clusters. The report we produced explored four such clusters, each at a different stage in their evolution and each with their own opportunities and challenges.
- King’s Cross and Euston: Established Knowledge Cluster
- White City: Emerging Knowledge Cluster
- Whitechapel: Potential Knowledge Cluster
- Sutton: Future Knowledge Cluster